Uploading a CSV with ContactMonkey is a quick and easy way to add a large number of contacts to your internal communication campaigns. In this article, we will guide you through the steps to upload a CSV with ContactMonkey and Gmail.
CSV files are used as an alternative to internally built email lists or Google Groups in Gsuite. A CSV file allows you to create custom lists without relying on IT departments. They can be exported from a data source like Workday or another employee directory and uploaded into ContactMonkey.
What’s a CSV?
CSV stands for "Comma-Separated Values" and refers to a simple file format used for storing and exchanging data between different applications. In this format, data is organized in rows and columns, with each column separated by a comma.
In this article:
Uploading a CSV With ContactMonkey’s Gmail Dashboard Sending
Uploading a CSV With The Chrome Extension For Gmail
Getting Started With CSVs
Not sure which ContactMonkey Gmail option you are using? Check out Using ContactMonkey and Gmail to learn more.
Before uploading a CSV with ContactMonkey, make sure that your CSV file is formatted correctly. Consider using our sample CSV file to make it as easy as possible. If you’ve exported your data and need some help making the CSV compatible with ContactMonkey, check out Formatting Your CSV File.
Uploading a CSV With Gmail Dashboard Sending
Once you’ve got your CSV prepped and ready, you can upload it through Gmail Dashboard Sending following these steps:
- Login to your ContactMonkey account using Sign in with Google.
No account yet? Sign up for a free trial 🎉
- Click on Contacts in the top menu bar
- Select the "Import Contacts" button in the top right corner
- Click Upload CSV
- Select your file from your device and hit “Open”
- Click the Compose & Send button from the Emails Tab
- In the "Send To" field select the option: "CSV Upload"
- Upload your file from your File Manager
Uploading a CSV with the Chrome Extension For Gmail
If you’re using the ContactMonkey's Chrome Extension for Gmail, you can upload a CSV following these steps:
- Open your Gmail inbox
- Click on the Internal Comms button from the ContactMonkey options in your Gmail inbox.
- In the new email that opens, click “Upload CSV” in the top right corner
- Select your CSV file from your device
- Preview your email to ensure all the fields were matched properly.
- Complete your email and send it off! Learn more about sending your email with the Chrome Extension For Gmail.
Q: What are my sending limits when using a CSV in Gmail?
A: This varies based on if you are using Email at Scale and what type of tracking you select.
Q: Can I use merge tags when sending to a CSV?
A: Of course! Check out our article on using Merge Fields.
Formatting Your CSV FIle
Sending a Tracked Campaign with Gmail