Where your data is stored can be important for legal, regulatory, and privacy reasons. Review the guidelines and considerations below if you need to switch your ContactMonkey data storage location.
Data Center Options
ContactMonkey makes it easy to remain compliant with your local laws and regulations by making it possible to host your data in one of four data centers:
- EU - Ireland
- USA - North Virginia
- Canada - Montreal
- Australia - Sydney
During account creation, you can select where your ContactMonkey data will be stored.
Why It Matters
In the European Union (EU), privacy is governed by the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), a comprehensive framework that sets high standards for protecting personal data.
Canada follows the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA), which outlines rules for private sector organizations' collection, use, and disclosure of personal information.
In the United States, privacy regulations can vary at the federal and state levels, with laws like the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) governing healthcare data and the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) addressing consumer privacy rights.
Australia operates under the Privacy Act, which regulates organizations' handling of personal information, promoting transparency and fair information practices.
If you’re unsure where your data should be stored or if you are obligated to comply with any of the above laws and regulations, please get in touch with your organization's security team.
If you have already created a ContactMonkey account and need to change where your data is stored, please contact your Customer Success Manager or firstname.lastname@example.org and let them know. Our team will happily help with this process and answer any questions.
It’s important to note a few key items before you begin moving your hosting region:
- Switching to a different region will create a brand-new ContactMonkey account.
- You will lose access to any data created in the old account and will be starting from scratch in the new region.
- This switch will affect all ContactMonkey teammates.
- You may need to loop in your IT team during this switch if your IT team has approved the original region but not the new region.
- You can work with our team to determine if this is the case for your account.
If you have emails or templates in your original account that you wish to keep, that's possible. You can download the JSON files and re-upload them to your new account.
Logging In To The Correct Region
Once you have been signed out of your old account in the incorrect region, you'll need to make sure when you sign in again that you are accessing the correct region.
Here are the four URLs you can use to access and log in to your data region directly:
If you land on the wrong login page, you can always switch by using the options underneath the login button:
Data Transition Checklist
- Contact your ContactMonkey Customer Success Manager or email@example.com so they can help create your new account in the new data region.
- Download JSON files from your original account for emails and templates you wish to keep.
- Upload JSON files into your new account.
- Inform other ContactMonkey teammates about the switch and that they will be signed out of their dashboard and/or add-in.
Here's an explainer you can customize and share with your teammates if needed:
For security & compliance reasons, we need to change where we currently store our ContactMonkey data. Our data is currently hosted in [region], and we need to move it to [region].
This means a couple things:
1. We'll be losing any data in our current ContactMonkey account, including historical send or open rates, sent or draft emails and templates.
2. You'll be signed out of the current account dashboard and the ContactMonkey add-in in Outlook and must sign back in to the correct region.
Before the switch on [date], can you please:
- Download the JSON files for any emails or templates you wish to bring to the new account by following the steps found in this help article: How to download and import a JSON file.
- Save this URL: [insert data region login URL from above]. You'll need to use it to log in to ContactMonkey from now on.
Check For ContactMonkey Integrations That Need To Be Reset
- HRIS API - A new API key will need to be generated, and the URL API will need to be switched to the new region. The new ORG ID will also need to be provided as a part of the change
- OKTA SSO - It is suggested that a new, distinct application be created so users who may need to access the old data and the new data can distinguish the log-ins. The new login will also need to utilize the different Redirect URL for the new region.
Frequently Asked Questions
I'm getting the error message "You do not have access to ContactMonkey in the [EU/CA/US/AU] region." when I try to log in to the add-in or dashboard. What do I do?
This means you're attempting to log in to a region you do not have an account in. You can follow the steps here to resolve this: What If I Selected EU Instead Of US By Accident? (Office 365)