|This article is for Google Workspace Administrators
With no additional set up, ContactMonkey for Internal Communications allows internal communications teams to create and deliver campaigns to your existing Google Groups or CSVs.
Users can send to Google Groups (with the restriction of no recipient counting) or send to an uploaded CSV.
Previously, Google prevented individual tracking on emails sent to Google Groups. All metrics would be aggregated to a single value, not counting each recipient as a unique data point. Customers could only attain accurate tracking by entering each recipient individually (bypassing Google Groups) or manually counting and adjusting each campaign within the ContactMonkey dashboard.
This had the potential to be an arduous task until Google made some adjustments to its policy.
Benefits of Google Group Expansion
ContactMonkey’s Google Group Expansion feature allows ContactMonkey customers to send to a Google Group without any maintenance. It lets ContactMonkey metrics dashboard “count” the number of members within one or many Google Groups and nested groups.
- Allows Campaign Administrators to see an accurate recipient count within your dashboard.
- Continue to send emails utilizing existing distribution lists while maintaining metric accuracy
- Maintain ownership of lists without relying on IT or counting membership in each Google Group and nested Google Group
Please note that these instructions can only be applied by Google Workspace Administrators.
Create Project & Service Account
Set Up Domain Wide Delegation and Limit Access to Directory Group Read Only
This will allow ContactMonkey to call APIs on behalf of users in a Google Workspace Organization. In this case, the Service Account will be provided a limited scope for the Domain to Google Groups on a read-only basis.
Provide information to ContactMonkey
Once completed, please share the following information with ContactMonkey. Customers can provide this information using a secure internally-approved file share of their choosing, or feel free to reach out. ContactMonkey can provide a shared space for the file to be uploaded to us.
- JSON file containing the key from the Admin SDK API Service Account
- An example Group Email (e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org) that our ContactMonkey team can use to test that the connection is working. The Group Email will not receive any email, and will just be used to verify the connection works
- The email address of a Google Workspace Admin.
- If Administrators would like to create a single specific ContactMonkey Google Workspace Admin account for group expansion, they can do so.
- For administrators and security teams interested in the minimum access privileges required for this role, the Google predefined role Groups Reader will provide sufficient access: https://support.google.com/a/answer/2405986#groups_admin
- This is not the same as a Google Service Account
After Administrators have provided ContactMonkey with the necessary key and the administration account, our team will set up a domain-wide delegation for the provided service account.